September 16, 2011
It’s Mexican Independence day! To me, this is a bittersweet holiday. Yes, it marks Mexico proclaiming itself a sovereign nation. On the other hand, the country is enslaved by the cartels. Right across the border, just a few miles from where I wright this, two people were tortured and publicly displayed for writing negative things about the Zetas. We have a long way to go, but I’d like to start by ending this stupid war on drugs.
And speaking of things that were probably influenced by drugs, let’s get some links out there and catch up with the week’s stories.
- Clint Eastwood doesn’t care who you marry. He also managed to make himself even more awesome.
- I have my reservations about the new Star Wars blu-rays. On the other hand, this promo featuring famous people reenacting classic scenes is hilarious. And Vader gets the best treatment, especially at about 2:14.
- Speaking of Star Wars, here’s a 43,000 piece Lego Venerator-class Star Destroyer.
- To all the new freshmen in college, please, for the love of Bob, don’t do this.
- And speaking of bad decisions, could celebrities please stop taking naked pics of themselves with their phones? You, the thing that can be hacked? Unlike that camera that you need to physically get to retrieve said pictures? The reaction to Scarlet Johansson’s leaked nude pics has ranged from everything from an FBI investigation to the internet having a collective seizure. Because the internet, as you know, has been seen naked boobs and butt.
- Nancy Upton entered a contest for American Apparel. She satirized what I can only describe as really unflattering images of women that look like they need a sandwich. Her pics were… well, they were unique. She’s confident, has a sense of humor about herself and the company, she looks wonderful and natural, and she won the contest by a large margin… and now American Apparel is saying they won’t go with her because she’s not targeting their demographic. Hypocrites, anyone?
- “Gordon Ramsay’s Dwarf Porn Double Found Dead In A Badger Den.” How do you NOT click on that link?!
- It turns out that reading fiction boosts your empathy. I just wish they’d used another book besides Twilight for the study.
- Global warming is doing a lot of things… but did you know that it’s causing giant crabs to invade Antarctica? Be scared…
- Disney does not have the best record when it comes to acknowledging the audience’s intelligence. However, some of their older animators didn’t react too kindly to the higher-ups changing the name of a movie to make it more descriptive since audiences “might not get it.” The result is pure sarcasm and gold.
- And finally, Nice Peter came out with another Epic Rap Battle. Mister Rogers all the way! Represent! And I’ll see you all on Monday!