Do I really have to talk about the mosque story? Really?
Okay, I’m not going to go over the obvious refutations like the fact that it’s not anywhere near Ground Zero or that the imam in charge has actually helped with counter-terrorist efforts. Let’s jump right past the part where people are screaming about the Middle East funding this when Fox is also funded, in a major way, by the same people.
And we’re going to do this mostly because it’s actually spilled out of New York City.
All over the country, people are protesting the building of new mosques. The main fear is that these mosques will be used as training grounds for terrorism, because, as we all know, that’s what mosques do. Kind of how Catholic churches train pedophiles. Or how colleges make progressive terrorists.
The point isn’t even about the mosque’s location. It’s about racism. Plain and simple. If you know someone is against this construction, ask them this question.
“Who is responsible for the 9/11 attacks?”
It wasn’t the Muslim community, and yet I had a very long debate with someone who agreed with me and insisted it didn’t make a difference. He said that while it was a small group of radicals, they’d tainted the rest and we needed to act accordingly.
Wow. I’d never heard anyone outline their racism so eloquently.
That’s what this is all about. People are forgetting that while the hijackers were Muslim, they were not representative of the more than one billion Muslims on the planet. Going back to the Catholic analogy, yes, Catholic priests did molest children, but they were not representative of all Catholicism. Unless, of course, you believe we should ban Catholics from building churches near schools, parks, and residential areas.
The worst part of all this is that it’s part of a pattern. America goes through this every few decades. Lincoln was accused of being Catholic at a time when many in America were Protestant. Franklin D. Roosevelt was accused of being a Jew. Now, Obama is accused of being a Muslim.
Every few decades, we find a new group to blame. And every few decades, we see the error in our ways and that group finds itself fully integrated into American society. Try finding anyone mainstream who makes Jews or Catholics the targets of society’s problems.
That’s not to say Muslims aren’t already integrated into American society. After all, Muslims died on 9/11, too. They hold prayer services at the Pentagon, an ACTUAL site of one of the 9/11 attacks. I understand racism. I understand where it comes from.
Get over it, you self-righteous Neanderthals.
If you’re reading this and you don’t think Muslims have the right to build a mosque that close to Ground Zero or anywhere else in this country, I have a few things to ask you.
Should we ban white people from being anywhere segregation was practiced? The harm they did to generations of blacks is monumental. Treating an entire race as second-class citizens, lynching, and otherwise shunning others to the lowest levels of society impacted millions.
Are Japanese or Japanese-descended Americans allowed in Hawaii? You probably don’t want them anywhere near Peal Harbor even though a sizable percentage of the Hawaiian population is Japanese or descended from them. And by the way, there is a Shinto temple not far from Pearl Harbor.
Can blacks vote? Even though the voter intimidation story was blown out of proportion, there really is a New Black Panther party. Seeing as how a few thugs tried to intimidate voters, can blacks still vote?
Given that some of our soldiers in the Middle East engaged in war crimes by killing civilians, should we never again allow military personnel to work with civilians? Maybe we can make large groups of former soldiers and marines to work construction since we can’t trust them with non-combatants.
People screaming that Muslims are showing callousness by building this mosque think they’re being insulted because the protestors believe ALL Muslims are to blame. If I were racist and hated blacks and demanded that blacks move away from my home, would I be well within my rights to say I was the grieved party because they would not bow to my ignorance and racism?
Yeah, that’s what I thought.
Like I said, we’ve gone through this before. Before we get to the links, though, I want to show you something.
Every generation seems to find something to fear. Communists. The Civil Rights Movement. Immigrants. Gays. Whatever. This video is from 1947 and it shows just the kind of fracturing that Fox, Beck, Bachmann, Palin, Limbaugh, and all these other wastes of skin are creating. I’m probably breaking Godwin’s Law, but I’d like to create Martin del Campo’s Law, an updated version.
Once you compare someone to a terrorist, you fail. Terrorists: they’re like Nazis for the 21st century.
Watch for the moment where one man in the crowd is all for “reclaiming America,” one second… only to realize HE’S suddenly become the enemy.
And now time for links! Because we could ALL use a good laugh.
- One more quick New York City mosque story. Glenn Beck has been one of the more vocal voices demonizing this project, and yet, four years ago, he applauded and endorsed the imam in charge! Need we say more about this money-whore?
- If this study showing that Darwin was wrong about evolution proves correct, I guarantee that creationists will jump on it and declare evolution dead. However, this new study claims that Darwin was simply wrong about what causes evolution. It claims that the need for more space, not necessarily competition, caused adaptation.
- Who doesn’t love the gay community? Not me. It’s sad we still need to fight for gay rights and equality, but at least we get to enjoy some VERY funny protest signs.
- In what may be one of the most significant environmental news I’ve seen in a long time, a scientist has created a machine that turns plastic back into oil. And it’s the size of a desktop printer.
- Want to learn how to create a temperature half as hot as the surface of the sun in a soda bottle and learn some science at the same time? Check out Thunderf00t’s new video on YouTube.
- I’ve experienced Mexico City and Washington DC traffic, but NOTHING compares to this nine-day-long traffic jam in China.
- Remember a few years ago when everyone got real excited about wine being good for you? Guess what? Now rave drugs are also good for you! When the study comes out that proves tequila increases your life span, I’m celebrating until I forget what I was celebrating.
- And finally, just when you thought you had to work hard to make it in this world… it’s now reported in various outlets that the Situation, one of the d-bags from Jersey Shore, will make $5 million this year. That’s right. Let that sink in, and I’ll see you on Friday.