June 10, 2010
Everyone feeling the impending weekend? Oh, I am. I’m dusting off some notes from the last few years and finally finding time to write a series of short stories set on the border. These aren’t “chicano” fiction, however. If anything, they’re urban fantasy with a border twist. Should be fun. I might post a few excerpts here on slow days over the summer.
Also, I get to play D&D again. It’s been a long time since I got to sit on the boring side of the DM screen. Pommel, the warforged fighter, lives again! They clang, b1tch3z!
Anyway, enough of my geekery. Links!
- Ever wanted to own a piece of fake history? A creation museum is selling a few choice pieces including rocks, bones, and fossils that all prove the Earth is 6,000 years old.
- Our president’s pretty hardcore. Here he is punching a zombie.
- And here’s a unicorn fighting a giant dinosaur.
- This lingerie ad is pretty standard. It’s quite sexy, actually, except something happens at the end that makes it a really good commercial. Don’t you just love it when the plot gives you a twist?
- In the UK, the Telegraph reports that professional gamers have the reflexes and reaction times of professional athletes or fighter pilots… except they also have the inner bodies of 60-year-old chain smokers.
- A woman had a brilliant idea for finding parking. She made her own.
- A woman called tech support to find out how to disable the Pacman game on Google’s front page. Apparently, it kept her from studying.
- Behold! The greatest weatherman ever!
- Patrick Stewart is SIR Patrick Stewart as of a few days ago, and someone was lucky enough to snap this shot of the ceremony. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.
- Ever wonder how much surface area on the Earth we would need to supply power to every person on Earth? This handy-dandy chart should help.
- Anyone want to get a dead pool going? Which of your favorite stars under 30 is going to die this year? And how?!
- And finally… I know I’ve gone on about making things gritty for the sake of gritty and have mocked the practice with the continuing stories “Peaches and Bullet Bills,” but a trailer’s hit the web in the last few days that shows a gritty, realistic Mortal Kombat. Rumor says it’s a trailer for an upcoming movie. Others think it might be a rpmo for the new MK game due out later this year, but this is looking less and less likely. Personally, I just think it’s bloody, violent, and everything the first two MK movies should have been. Check it out and comment. Warning: there’s a fair amount of gore.